Luxembourg is home to some 8.000 Spanish (almost 1.100 Catalan) the majority of whom work in the services sector (mainly financial and technological), European institutions and, to a lesser extent, in sectors such as construction and industry. There are almost no Spanish companies. The labor market is, without a doubt, much better than in Spain or Catalonia and maintains a dynamic job creation high. Unemployment is around 5%. However: we must not forget that there are three official languages Luxembourg (French, German and Luxembourgish) and a good knowledge of at least one of them is necessary to gain access to interesting opportunities. Other languages such as English are also very important in the labor market.
All citizens of the European Union (EU) or a country assimilated benefits of free movement in the EU, which gives him the right toworking and settle in any country of the Union. Administrative formalities to be completed in Luxembourg vary depending on whether the length of stay or not more than three months:
- For a stay less than 3 months (sightseeing tour, visita familiar, business trip, professional activity, job search, etc.), EU citizens do not have any administrative management. A valid passport or ID card is enough. The Luxembourg State is not required to pay any social assistance.
- For a stay more 3 months (career as an employee or independent, as a student enrolled in a public or private institution accredited or have sufficient financial means not to become a burden on the state), EU citizens, valid passport or ID card, must:
- You can only request social assistance from the Luxembourg State if it is proven to have financial means above the threshold for access to social benefits. passed 5 years rights to social benefits are the same as for nationals.
- The family members of the person who declares a professional or other activity are registered with him (spouse, children up to 21 or older if you are in charge, If parents are in charge).
- In the case of unmarried couples must prove the existence of a stable link from, at least, a year before the arrival in Luxembourg. You can see the conditions on this page.
For all those matters of an administrative nature (home, Opening a bank account, Mobile phone access, etc.) we recommend the guideJust Arrived edita that the City of Luxembourg.
Generally, we suggest, if your stay is a permanent, also register at Consular Registration Register of the Spanish Consulate. This recording is essential for obtaining or renewing official documents (passport, certificate of residence, affidavits, births, serious accidents, etc.), as well as to exercise their electoral rights abroad. In all cases you must make an appointment at the Spanish Embassy in Luxembourg.
He consular emergency telephone number in case of a serious situation it is the + 352 621 401 024.
He Luxembourg labor market is characterized by being international and multilingual, for having an exceptional number of non-Luxembourgish workers, a predominance of the tertiary sector and an unemployment rate reduced. You can learn more by visiting Panorama of the labor market.
The financial and insurance sector continues to be creating a greater number of jobs. In the month of March 2022 Other sectors with high job creation were the construction (the country is experiencing aboom in this sector), trade and auto repair, Logistics, and scientific activities and high technology (information technology, of greeting, linked to eco-technologies and space).
However: we insist again that Luxembourg has three official languages (French, German and Luxembourgish) and that a good knowledge of at least one of them and/or English, is necessary to gain access to a job.
the job offer portals more recommended are:
- Paper Jam Jobs
To specific sectors:
- Sector Financing
- Sector IT
- Sector IT (2)
- Hotels and restaurants
- Health and social action
- European institutions
It may also be interesting for you to sign up and/or participate in the Job Fairs, with a long tradition in Luxembourg and whose mission is to connect people looking for employment with companies looking for workers. You can find a good description of it in this page.
Many operate in Luxembourg temporary work companies to which you can send your CV:
- Here thecomplete list.
As paper newspapers of national circulation with a good job announcements section we recommend theLuxemburger Wort, in its weekend edition, i theLuxbazar, weekly.
You may also be interested in information about validation of diplomas available inThis page from the Ministry of Education.
To know the rules for the exercise of a professional activity or commercial as a non-Luxembourger you can visitthis page.
In the event that you travel abroad being beneficiaries of benefits from the Spanish State (contributory, unemployment benefits and active insertion income), keep in mind that the conditions of delivery vary according to the duration and the reason for transfer. We recommend you take a look at thisSepe page.
As general advice for prepare your decision to emigrate from Catalonia we recommend you read the FIEC document (International Federation of Associations Catalan) ‘Emigrated from Catalonia. What should I think about?? What are the things you need to keep in mind?’
The housing search is one of the biggest problems you will face in Luxembourg. The lack of housing is a problem for everyone, both for existing residents and for newcomers. As research pages we can recommend you:
As in information portals útils sobre Luxemburg adreçats a públic hispanoparlant o catalanoparlant us recomanem:
- Catalan Luxembourg Centre
- FAEL (Federation of Spanish in Luxembourg)
- Olé.lu– Portal of the Spanish in Luxembourg